Tuesday, March 16, 2010

They finally printed one of my letters again

After rejecting three of my letters, the Chronicle finally published one today. I didn't think they would, but I guess since I made no mention or hint of a plagiarism accusation, it slipped by.

I checked out the reader comments about my letter.

Not much in the way of intellectual banter there worth commenting on. Two guys got into a side argument about who voted in favor of Civil Rights in the 1960's. The conservative bashed democrats which was kind of disingenous because in the 1960's Southern democrats were conservative racists. The parties have changed over time, so that now the Republican party has opened their tent to racists.

A person calling herself Little Lamb told me to lighten up...it was a joke. Thus, she missed one of the main points of my letter. I was telling Mr. Ryan to lighten up by equating Bill Maher's tasteless but funny joke with Glenn Beck's tasteless but not funny joke.

Glenn Beck deserved the shot as I noted in last week's blog.

*******************************************************************************

Re: "God help the republic," also from today's Augusta Chronicle editorial page.

Mr. Ryan is whining about tricks the dems are trying to pull to get this health care thing passed. Differing versions of the bill have already passed by straight up and down votes.

This new tact the democrats might use though is a little odd. They might deem that the Senate bill already passed in the House. Admittedly, this new tact flunks the language test.

I just don't see this as being a big grab of executive power as this editorial claims. Mr. Ryan's opposition to expanded executive power flies in the face of his usual standards. He usually favors a strong president. If this was a republican, he would be in favor of this tactic big time. But it's Obama so "God help the republic."

The President isn't forcing Congress to do anything it doesn't have the power to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment